"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

When I said keep them coming....

Well, we've got even more.

I agreed to help Nina out and take another pup, Kessler, next week, right after Grant leaves.
He needs his first sleepover, as he's almost 6 months and hasn't had one. He was supposed to go to Nina, but, to make a long story short, unfortunately a pup in our region is going to be leaving his home, through mutual agreement between the raisers and the program. So that pup is at Nina's until they can find a new foster home for him.

It's a sad situation -- the raisers apparently just didn't have enough time for this, and I think were pretty actively resisting doing things the way GEB wants us to. The husband told Nina that it's a "full-time job" to do what GEB wants and he didn't agree with several training methods. They were raising a shepherd, which by all accounts is a challenge.

I don't know that I'd agree that it's a "full-time job" to raise a GEB pup -- if it is, I think I'm tired thinking about it, given that the last time I checked, I had a full-time paying job, a 5-year-old and a husband, and plus I still have some hobbies (reading, cooking, stitching, running) that I like to do from time to time!

It gave me pause to reflect, though. People seem to think that Murphy turned out ok, which is a relief, because I always worried I wasn't spending enough time on training or working him enough. I worried the other day when Carol said Nettie was being a pill after she came home.

I'm a little worried about having Kessler -- his raiser is single and works from home, and I suspect, gives him tons of attention and work. I already warned her that in my house, he's going to spend more time in a crate than he probably does there. (I also begged her to try to transition him to not wake up at 5:30 or 6, as he apparently does now, before his visit, since I get home from work at midnight, and usually go to sleep by 1. I am not a nice person after a week of 4 1/2 hours of sleep.)

The other thing that continues to fascinate me is how subjective and tricky the bond between human and dogs can be. I was just skimming an article in People (oh, admit that you look at it too!) on the controversy over Cesar Millan, the "Dog Whisperer." I have to say that I'd never watched his show or read his book, but what I read in this article appalled me. I much prefer the GEB approach of teaching them how to be good and rewarding that.

As for Grant -- aka "this week's yellow pup" -- he's a sweetie, but boy, you do forget how much work the little ones are! He is actually napping in his crate right now in this room -- he has some issues with not wanting to be in a crate if he can see people, so we're trying to get him to accept that. It is about 2 degrees here now, with wicked wind chill, so we've been doing some obedience work inside.

6 Comments:

  • That's so sad about the GSD's raiser. I agree with you, not so much a full-time job unless you make it to be that way. Raising my 5th pup now, I realize that you can easily fit them right into your schedule, and it isn't so bad. We have a guy in our region who is resisting GEB training, boy is he something else!

    As to "The Dog Whisperer," don't even get me started...I think he is a quack, among many other thing! He doesn't even have any training with working with dogs. I read somewhere that he worked with cattle or something like that. I've also heard some really bad things about what he does to dogs when the cameras are off. I wouldn't trust him with any of my dogs.

    Have fun sitting. It can be challenging, but I love experiencing so many other dogs than just your own for a little while.

    Keep us posted on your decision about taking on Pup #2!

    By Blogger Sarah, At 11:21 AM  

  • I got the mat at PetEdge. They usually have a bunch of stuff on sale all the time.

    Glad the GSD will be fine. We definitly need more of them in the program and it would be sad to see one "fall through the cracks."

    Well, Irie does spend a lot of time with Farrell. Maybe she picked it up from him...

    By Blogger Sarah, At 3:46 PM  

  • hope you don't mind us linking to your blog :)

    amber and PIT chris

    By Blogger thepuppyraiser, At 1:53 PM  

  • Do you care if I link to your page? Well let me know!

    By Blogger Emily, At 7:10 PM  

  • hi, i found your blog through amber and chris's and i love reading about your puppy raising adventures!

    my first foster pup Petey just went back two weeks ago, and your article to the paper brought back all the memories of looking back on the whole time spent on the puppies...it was defintely a terrific article :)

    natalie and foster puppy Fielder

    By Blogger Natalie, At 10:42 PM  

  • No, the babies are gone :( I saw on the website that they are "retesting" so I guess we will see how they do in a few days. Keep fingers and paws crossed for them!

    By Blogger Sarah, At 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home