"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Thursday, October 04, 2007

A LOT to catch up on (Now we'll see who's really paying attention)

Well, it has been very eventful around here, and that's why I haven't been posting so much.

Here's what's been happening. Nettie had some good working adventures when my parents visited for Andrew's birthday. We went up to Freeport and met Nina, our AC. We took Nettie and Kessler, who is about a month older than her, into the L.L. Bean flagship store for the first time. They were awesome! Both of them were so quiet and well-behaved. The biggest obstacle to working them was the number of employees and shoppers who kept coming up and complimenting them. We tried a Gentle Leader on Nettie and it made a huge difference for her. She still "takes notes" but I think it really helped her focus and not have to think about reacting to everything. She had begun to have some issues with pulling, so we wanted to nip that in the bud.

Nettie was, of course, very excited to meet my parents, but they couldn't believe how quickly she settled in and became calm in the house with them. Of course, they remembered Murphy's exuberance! We threw a birthday party for Andrew, with five 6-year-old friends visiting, so Nettie got to spend that Saturday with a sitter family in our area. She would NOT have liked to have been cooped up during the party, and she would not have been a good addition to the festivities. Why? This shot of playtime at my house gives a hint, I think.



I had several great outings planned for Miss Nettie last weekend, including a trip by ferry to Peaks Island, where we'd meet up with another raiser and her pup. Unfortunately, my girl had other ideas and went into her second heat last Friday. Argh! So instead we stuck close to home.




At least she can pose and look pretty in her jacket.....



Now, the other big thing that's been going on ... I alluded earlier to the fact that, much to our shock, Nettie won't go IFT until April or May.
The complication is that I'm pregnant, and the baby is due April 6! Which of course we are all thrilled about, even though it means that my puppy-raiser days are going to go on hiatus post-Nettie. What we're going to do is that Nina, our AC, and I will co-raise Nettie as of about December or so. We'll just see how much I can handle. The one big worry is that I probably won't want to be trying to handle Nettie in February, when it's icy and I'm 7 1/2 months along. I am not the world's most graceful human anyway, and that's asking to fall down. But we'll figure it all out. Nettie is actually over at Nina's house right now, as we're going to take a vacation for a few days. Nina has always adored Nettie, and Nettie loves going there. Nina has a release dog, Sal, who was released from GEB because he was going blind. (He's now totally blind.), and he and Nettie are great buds. I'm just so relieved Nina can help us out; I would have hated to just send MissNet off to NY and to someone I didn't know .. and we'll still have her a lot, too!
So .. did I live up to the headline?

6 Comments:

  • Wow! Congratulations!!!! And it sounds like Nettie is doing really well and you have a great plan for her!
    This is going to sound crazy, but my club had a puppy raising couple who got pregnant while raising their second puppy. There was a huge backlog of puppies at the time, so they were staying longer in the raisers homes. A group of 35 pups all the same age went back in April, July [my second pup, Promise went on this truck], and September. The couple actually asked if they could keep the pup until the september recall so she could be with them for the baby's birth. And yes, I do mean with them... they got permission from the hospital to take the pup!
    We all thought they were crazy, so your plan sounds much better!

    By Blogger Emily and the Labradors, At 9:08 PM  

  • Nettie sounds like a great puppy! good luck with her. Is it ok that I liked to your page?

    By Blogger Brittany, At 12:51 PM  

  • Nettie sounds like a great dog!

    Do you mind if I link to your site? I've seen you posting around on Sarah's blog, and I would love to keep in touch with stories about Nettie.

    By Blogger Jamie, At 4:27 PM  

  • Congratulations Angie!! I'm glad that you were able to work things out with Nettie, she's going to be a great pup with all that help from everyone! I met Nina at the AC workshop this summer, she was so nice, so I'm sure Nettie's in great hands!

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, At 7:57 AM  

  • Totally - first off - CONGRATULATIONS! That's awesome for you! I'm glad you have a great plan for everything. That's nice you are thinking ahead!

    That squirrel toy in the first photo was one of Runza's favorites.

    By Blogger Lisa and pups, At 9:02 PM  

  • Ok so Im slow on catching up on blogs but a HUGE congrats goes out to you and your family. Its great that you will be able to see Nettie lots. Nina is a geat lady. I met her at AC workshop. Nettie sounds like she is doing very well and is all reminiscent of half sister Glacier GRIN. Good Luck!

    By Blogger The Puppy Raising Roller Coaster, At 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home