"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Civil discourse at 4:30 a.m.

This morning, it was 4:30 a.m. when Nettie started up.

Now, no matter how strong your marriage is, it is difficult to maintain civil discourse at 4:30 a.m.

Bob: (poking me, even though I'm already awake) She's at it agaiiinnnn...
Me: I know.
(Biting my tongue to not say, "You think??" or another equally sarcastic remark.)
(I start to roll out of bed to take her out, in case her tummy is acting up. She had some soft stool last night, so I've been a little concerned. Of course I'm equally worried that I'm rewarding this behavior, that she's going to also wake up Andrew, and that I may never again sleep more than 5 hours a night.)
A brief, mumbled debate on whether she might really need something, whether I'm spoiling her if I check, whether she is ever going to stop this middle of the night fussing.

Rational analysis also is difficult at 4:30.
I end up taking her out, making her fall silent before opening the crate door. No conversation, no petting, nothing but a leash clip, stop for doors, out to pee.
She appeared to be frantic for food, so I gave her a small handful and then took her back to bed, and fell back down myself.
Then she slept til 7.

So, I'm not sure this is the best way to deal with her on this. We did not do a formal training session yesterday, so factoring that in, I realize she did get less food and might have been legitimately hungry. I also know that Carol typically got up at 6 (possibly even 5:30), so Nettie does have to adapt to our timetable. Finally, I usually keep Nettie up later, but had gone to bed earlier and therefore, so had she.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home