"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

To IFT, or not to be?

It makes no sense that I would drive 5 hours after work on a Monday night to New York, stay in a hotel and spend a vacation day that I probably should be hoarding for maternity leave to watch Nettie take a test that takes all of about 15 minutes (and one that Guiding Eyes tapes and sends to the raisers).

If she passes the IFT test -- and I do think she probably will, though you never know -- it's no guarantee that she'll succeed as a guide dog.

If she doesn't pass the test, it's not like I can load her in the car and take her home that day to be our pet. (She'd have to get spayed and other assorted GEB processing stuff first.)

So it makes no sense at all, which is why it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who knows me that I've booked a motel room and asked for the day off work. So I'll be exhausted at the end. I'll live.

I'd been dithering on this, and Bob settled the matter, saying that I would hate it if I didn't go, because going and seeing it, in a way, wraps everything up and means that I'm seeing Nettie all the way through our training together.

He's right way too often.

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Sarah, At 9:38 PM  

  • That's good that you'll be going to watch her. I wish I could watch Pekoe but we will be doing her IFT run, so I can't really turn right around and go back Tuesday, plus I really shouldn't miss class.

    Good luck to you guys!

    By Blogger Kelsie, At 7:39 AM  

  • Hi Angie - Congratulations! I had no doubt when I read your blog that you would be coming! So I hope to see you here at the CDC!

    By Blogger Willysmom, At 4:32 PM  

  • Im glad that you are going. I so wish that I could go for and IFT sometime. I have never seen one before despite all my other endeavors with GEB. Maybe with Glacier...Have fun and get a puppy fix at the CDC!

    By Blogger The Puppy Raising Roller Coaster, At 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home