"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Nettie nicknames

I posted this on Sarah's blog in comments, but she inspired me to share some of Nettie's nicknames so far:

Nettie Spaghetti (thanks to Andrew)
Nettie-kins
Nettie Lou ( the middle name that Carol gave her)
and....

the Netinator .. only when she's acting up!

Murphy's middle name, by the way, was Murphy O'Brien. He needed a good Irish middle name and this was an homage to my late mother-in-law, who truly would have believed that I had gone insane for embarking on this adventure. (It was her maiden name)
(Digression: Puppies, like children, need a middle name so that you can use the first name, middle name and last name all at once when you need to convey just how much /rapidly you need their attention.
I will never forget the time that Andrew, upon hearing me call the dog "Murphy O'Brien," solemnly inform him: "You'd better listen, mama's getting ticked off."

His other nicknames were pretty prosaic: MurphMurph was the most common.

4 Comments:

  • Haha! I can't believe you posted that! Farrell's foster gave him nicknames for that same purpose. He is Farrell James Elliot and, if he's really in trouble, she throws in the last name too! And he knows he's in trouble then!

    By Blogger Sarah, At 10:22 AM  

  • I fully agree about the middle names.

    I've had Calvin Andrew and now Juneau Beatrice.

    Patience has not yet been given an official middle name, but when she's in trouble she will often get called 'Patricia'.

    Sam, Patience, and Juneau

    By Blogger Hobbes Dogs, At 11:02 AM  

  • Nettie Fishstockings!
    (Like fishnet stockings)
    Nettie Beatty Pigsquealer!
    (from Deliverance. Ask Bob.)
    Nettie Craigles
    (Like Craig Nettles. Ask Bob.)

    Those are free. Upgrade to the premium level of my "Doggy Middle Name Service" for $5/month to unlock the really good ones.

    By Blogger ET, At 11:09 AM  

  • Hi Angie!

    I love your blog. I raise Lester over in Washington, write http://littlelesterpester.blogspot.com, and linked to you. Let me know if you mind.

    By Blogger Kushal Chakrabarti, At 5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home