"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Monday, February 11, 2008

Miscellaneous catch-ups

The official word came from our GEB regional manager ... Nettie is officially not being looked at for breeding -- she'll be a worker. She may already be spayed at this point, and will get some recovery time before she starts up again.

In a way, I'm kind of happy. I know it would be an honor for her to be a brood, but I think it would be hard knowing she's hanging out with a family and it couldn't be mine. (We live too far from the breeding center to qualify to foster her as a brood.) And I still think working will be the best thing for her. She needs to be doing something.

We also got "her" postcard from GEB today assuring us that she is having fun and learning lots. It's a cute thing they do.

***

Not to be dog-less too long, we're babysitting a friend's black Lab for a week while they're on vacation. Ellie is 4, and is a released dog from Seeing Eyes. She got released for lack of confidence, and I can certainly see that. She is a sweet girl though and doesn't seem to mind that we keep calling her "Nettie" or "Nellie"! By tomorrow, we may have this right.

I also notice a big difference in energy and calmness between a 17-month-old Lab (even a medium energy one) and a 4-year-old! We played in the snow yesterday, and Ellie was done well before Nettie would have been tired out.

However, as sweet and well-behaved as Ellie is, there are some big differences between a pup in training and a pet:

1) Don't leave pizza on the coffee table. Nettie wouldn't have dreamed of looking at it; Ellie seems to enjoy pepperoni.

2) The ability to have a dog eliminate on command is very under-rated and something you don't appreciate until you're standing around outside in the cold waiting for a dog to go!

3) After training two of them, it's hard to not automatically do hand signals with commands.

***

I'm not sure how much updating I'll do from here on out ... probably very little until we hear something from training.

5 Comments:

  • OH yess even my pet dog eliminates on command!! VEry handy command that one! Lol

    By Blogger Erin, At 1:04 AM  

  • I'm a little late, but congrats on Nettie passing her IFT! I know exactly what you mean with confusing names. After Quasia passed her IFT, I did a little bit of puppysitting, and I would always say the wrong name. It's hard to change after so many months of talking to one pup.

    By Blogger Jamie, At 1:11 AM  

  • I was the same way when Jane told me Irie was off of breed watch. It is a nice honor, but I would much rather have her out there working instead of popping out all those babies (although they would have been super cute if either of them became broods!). Can't wait to see how she does in training!

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, At 10:30 AM  

  • Congrats again on Nettie being In For Training. I know what you mean about I felt the same way when I got the call that Yellsea was off breed watch and the email that Mork was off stub watch. I know they both enjoy working so much better and need ajob but it would have been nice. Hope to hear Nettie updates soon.

    ~MeKalea and visiting pointy-girl Jeanette who is often called Glacier and finds it rather demeaning

    By Blogger The Puppy Raising Roller Coaster, At 9:51 PM  

  • Comgrats on Nettie's IFT! Hopefully she does a great job! I really understand the name confusion thing, my older boy (Patriot) gets called Hobbs all the time!

    By Blogger Brittany, At 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home