"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Saturday, April 28, 2007

What a week!

I think this must be the heat (hers, not mine) talking .. I hope so, anyway. Miss Nettie awoke at 5:15 a.m. today and commenced to howl and whine and bark. Now, I KNEW that she did not have to go out. And she's not fed until 6:15-6:30.. I groaned .. Bob put a pillow on his head. Finally at 5:45 I got up, and figured I'd at least fold laundry, since I was NOT going back to bed. So I went in the living room and eyeballed her in the crate, and she becomes instantly angelic. I folded laundry, and she lay quietly in the crate. At 6:15 -- her normal time out -- I let her out.

then, we go to do morning exercise, and her long line finally snapped. Luckily, she never figured out she wasn't connected and came right back when I called! This long line dates to the Murphy days, and longtime blog readers may recall our ongoing battle over not seizing the long line for tug. The spot that snapped was the exact area Murph used to grab, so no surprise there.

Hopefully, Nettie will be wiped out tonight. I had to work today, but Bob and Andrew went out and bought a new long line -- a 50 (!) footer! Miss Nettie ran herself out.

Meanwhile, the other lovely thing about heat is the discussions one has with a 5-year-old about the birds and bees, so to speak. Andrew got very upset when he saw a drip because he thought Nettie hurt herself. We tried to explain.

Then came the panties, a source of great hilarity to the family. "Panties on the puppy!!" Andrew declared. Of course, now I have had to try to explain WHY the dog is wearing panties. "She's grown up now," I said. So THEN, of course, Andrew thinks she is going to have puppies. And boy, did we dance around the subject of why Nettie can't have a playdate with Keifer, and why she can't go out much for a while.

Ay. Did I mention that, just to keep things interesting, we think the house has developed a septic tank issue?

Much like most of this week, you really don't want to know the details.

Editing to update ... on the bright side, Bob is willing to raise again, though I think we'll take a little break after Nettie ...however, he's declared "only boys from here on out!"

3 Comments:

  • LOL!! Yes it is always fun how attitudes change when the girls are in heat. I had to giggle about the birds and the bees remark but and super glad I dont have to deal with explaining it. In fact Im glad that I havent had to deal with my girls in heat before although I have a feeling that Glacier will break my lucky streak as she has broken other streaks so far. Well anyways Good Luck to you.
    ~ MeKalea and visiting pointy, Wrangler

    By Blogger The Puppy Raising Roller Coaster, At 9:08 PM  

  • haha!! You definitely have to post pictures of Nettie in panties!!

    Hope your septic tank issues go away soon:)

    By Blogger Natalie, At 2:40 PM  

  • Funny you mention your husband's comment...during Irie's heat, my dad wouldn't even touch her, it was like she was diseased or something :) It really isn't that bad though. Once it is over, you will look back and realize how quickly the time went. Good luck!

    By Blogger Sarah, At 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home