"Not My Dog": Tales from Puppy Raising

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Missing having a pup around...

It has been just one of those months, and I have so keenly felt the edge of not having a pup around to distract me from some of it, even though I know it would be a big struggle right now to handle one and its training.

Some may know that I'm an editor at a newspaper, which is not exactly a great career position to be in right now! Actually, I oversee our website/online operations, which I am thankful for, because that's the way the media world is going. Anyway, this month has involved many cutbacks and some staff layoffs; it has been just an awful, agonizing process, having to be involved in making those kinds of decisions that have such impact on people's lives.

As soon as the dust settled from that, our paper's owners announced abruptly that they are putting it up for sale. Basically, it means we have no idea what might happen. Any new owner can come in and get rid of anyone they choose, or tell us that we're all making much less money and we can take it or leave it, etc. It's very unnerving about the future, that's for sure. I'm trying to stay positive, but can't help but worry.

Then, as if I wasn't having enough fun, I got slammed by the flu. The flu is especially not fun when you are 9 months pregnant, because for one thing, you can't take anything decent medicine-wise! I did really miss Nettie and her company while I was lying around in bed or on the couch (even though I knew intellectually that I would have been hating myself for not being able to take care of her properly!) However, my cat Squeegee did try to fill the role and essentially attached himself to me like Velcro for the duration -- although he may have just seen me as captive petter.

At any rate, all of this would have been more bearable, I think, with a Lab in the house.

But, literally any day now, there will be a human baby here, and I keep telling myself that we are going to raise another GEB pup someday. Something to look forward to no matter how everything else turns out, I guess.

4 Comments:

  • What a month indeed! I hope the next is better and filled with joy as the new baby human enters your life! Even though it won't be directly dog related... we will all want to hear her name and see a picture ;)

    By Blogger Emily and the Labradors, At 11:38 PM  

  • So sorry to hear about your month. Take comfort in knowing that Nettie is giving it all in training and will make you so proud when she graduates. Good luck with the new baby! I second Emily, we want details when you get a chance!

    By Blogger Sarah, At 9:36 AM  

  • Oh my - that is a stressful month you've been having. I hope you are feeling better now. You poor thing not being able to take anything decent. Your little one will thank you for it though! :) I can't wait to hear all the details about the new little one when you get a chance. If anything smells better than puppy breath, it newborn babies (except when they need changed!)

    Will be keeping you in my thoughts with the job situation. That is definitely stressful, especially the not knowing!

    By Blogger Lisa and pups, At 6:48 PM  

  • Thanks, everyone! I think I was just having a little pity party the other night, and all I could think of was that I wanted a forever dog, and that night, I wanted it to be Nettie! Which is selfish, I know...

    By Blogger Angie, At 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home